Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Making a 180 turn in life and feeling the wind against my face.

I look back on my career of 30 years in Health Care as a Financial Director, and I will say what I have always known; is that was not where I truly wanted my path in life to progress.  The opportunity just kind of happened and because I needed to support myself, my children and now my (Ex) Husband, I had to consider sticking to that path and being a responsible woman.

But, now that it is no longer a consideration..only a set of memories. I want to find that path that I wished I would have stepped onto a few years ago.  Is is possible in your mid 50's to begin a new career path and adventure?  Is it worth all the academic demands and hours of scoping out and processing the thoughts of...what if?   Will the rewards that will come (in time) and at an age as I move towards my 60's; be truly fulfilling and will I have the health and energy to walk down that new career path.

So,  using my action-oriented skills learned through the years as a corporate leader, I made the decision to return to school.  But, Oh..not the traditional way of sitting in a class room full of young adults (elbow to elbow), but, in the world of online class format.  At first I thought,  this is such a new concept, will it be considered a solid and valuable education?  But, after researching it, this appears to be the concept of the future.

I am into week six of classes and moving towards a degree in Psych, hoping to become a therapist.  I can see myself sitting with a client, with my walker or cane next to me, listening and giving advise; and by that time it considering my age, it will be very sage and wise advise.  It is going well and I am carrying an A average in all my classes.  So, I am now content and motivated to keep moving forward in this renaissance of life at least in this particular 180 degree spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment